The latest revision PCBs arrived a couple of days ago and yesterday I finally got on with soldering the components onto it. So far no mistakes in the silk screen or layout, but when I went to program the first board I could not talk to the EE-prom at all. Back to the microscope and inspect the solder joints. Nothing wrong that I can see. Lets see what the Ohm meter says about it. Bingo — Pin8 and 9 on the micro controller are shorted, right in between the pad land. Looks like some speck of dust got in between during the production of the PCB. First such failure from the board house ever. A little surgical cut with the razor blade in between the pins and everybody is happy now.